[PyQt] PyKDE4 Update

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Mon Sep 3 17:14:23 BST 2007

Simon Edwards has gotten PyKDE4 in shape to go into KDE's SVN repository, so
it should eventually begin appearing in KDE betas and release candidates. I'm
not sure if it will make it into beta2, which is planned for this week, but
it should appear in subsequent KDE releases.

I'll also begin making tarballs available publicly in a few weeks, probably
beginning shortly after KDE beta2 is released. If you're desperate to look at
this or plan to stick with beta1 for a while, I can make a beta1 tarball
available. For the forseeable future we'll continue with the dual track
releases: in KDE and tarballs at riverbankcomputing.

As Simon noted, the basic libs for PyKDE are complete except for Phonon. Class
documentation is essentially complete (but not available yet) and a
documentation/sampler/example viewer based on pykde-sampler that Troy Melhase
did for PyKDE3 is in the works. Some of that should be releasable in a week
or two as well.

The module lineup is about the same as PyKDE3, with a few changes. kfile has
been rolled into the kio module, kabc/kresource are dropped, kmdi no longer
exists, kspell is now in kdecore/kdeui as Sonnet, the solid module has been
added, along with (tentatively) two modules that allow scripting plugins for
the Kate editor.

Documentation is much more complete than PyKDE3 - it actually includes - well
- documentation. I've taken the class/method doc text from the KDE h files
(the same stuff they generate their docs from) and put that together with
Python method signatures. It's similar (but different) to the way PyQt
adapted the Qt docs (but of course nothing compares to Qt's docs).  I'm
finding it very useful and a productivity improver (you mileage, as they say,
may vary).

In general, there's work going into making PyKDE much easier to use - for
newbies or experienced programmers. There are also a few significant changes
in how you write KDE code which are/will be documented.

If you'd like to contribute, example code for almost any of PyKDE's classes
would be greatly appreciated - contact me to see what's been done already
(most of which could probably be improved on) and what's needed.

The official KDE4 release appears to be scheduled for sometime around the end
of the year/early next year (which isn't that far away).

Jim