[PyQt] Re: PyQt book "Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt" now available

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Fri Oct 26 07:59:08 BST 2007

On 2007-10-25, Rajeev J Sebastian wrote:
> On 10/26/07, David J Brooks <freysman at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I expect the American response to overpriced books is much the same as
> > the European one: make a .torrent and put it on the .net
>
> Here in India, publishers usually come out with very cheap editions of
> all these technical books (photocopy on low quality paper)

I know that at least one previous book (C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4)
was made available in India in a special "Indian edition" that was
supposed to be cheaper, although I've never seen one. I have seen
Russian (translated) editions though, and they are usually scaled down
slightly in size and printed on thinner paper, again to make them
cheaper I suppose. On the other hand, German editions always seem to be
hardbacks on really good paper stock.

BTW It is too early to know about special editions or translations yet
since decisions about these seem to be made based on how well a book
does in the US market.

> Btw, this is the same with movies as well ... increasing piracy has
> caused some Indian companies like Moser Baer to produce extremely
> cheap *legal* editions of any given movie - usually latest releases.
>
> They are sold on the roadside alongside cheap Chinese goods or second
> hand books. In fact, it is cheaper to buy a legal movie CD than to buy
> a blank CD or in fact, to have a nice lunch.
>
> Btw, Mark: congrats on your new book! I'm sure it will really be
> helpful for us trying to learn and teach PyQt. I will try to source it
> here and recommend it to my students, friends and colleagues.

Thanks--I really hope you'll find it useful!

Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd., www.qtrac.eu