[PyQt] Building the QScintilla-1.73 PyQt4 bindings

Jan Ekholm jan.ekholm at smultron.net
Mon Nov 26 12:26:54 GMT 2007

> %PickleCode support was added to SIP 4.7, which implies your /usr/bin/sip
> is earlier. Run "/usr/bin/sip -V"

Running:

% python configure.py
SIP 4.7 is being used.

Which should mean that 4.7 is being used, right? But getting the version from
the actually used sip binary gives:

% /usr/bin/sip -V
4.4.5 (4.4.5)

So yes, it's too old. So I compiled and installed 4.7 into some non-system
directory as I don't want to overwrite nor disrupt the "normal" sip that's
been installed from a package, but I'm not really sure how to get this
compilation to use the new sip. The configuration gets the path to the used
sip from:

	import PyQt4.pyqtconfig as pyqt4
	pyqt = pyqt4.Configuration()
	pyqt.sip_bin

and that is hardcoded as "/usr/bin/sip" regardless of what I try to feed
configure.py. Isn't the path available from sipconfig, it is also used:

	import sipconfig

and *that* import I can affect by setting PYTHON_PATH to where I installed sip
4.7.

Or is this a case where I should either a) remove all the distro packages and
compile everything myself or b) just let it be and wait for some future
version of said distro which includes a newer sip and possibly everything
else too?

--
Jan Ekholm
jan.ekholm at smultron.net