[PyQt] PyQt speed.

Vadim Gutnik gutnik at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 00:03:47 GMT 2007

I'm new to GUIs, but thinking about writing a GUI that is a little bit
like a simple vector drawing program. So I've been looking at various
toolkit and language options.

So far, it looks like my first choice would be PyQt... but it seems
slow. I wrote the attached code. If you select more than a couple dozen
shapes and move them, there's substantial lag, and I see python pegging
the CPU. The question:

1) Is there something I'm doing that is seriously inefficient and could
   be rewritten for speed?

2) What sort of speedup might I expect from this same program if it were
   rewritten in C++ with qt?

   Vadim