[PyQt] Exception handling hook

Arve Knudsen arve.knudsen at gmail.com
Wed May 23 16:16:17 BST 2007

On 5/23/07, Sundance <sundance at ierne.eu.org> wrote:

> Arve Knudsen wrote:
>
> > If an exception is raised in the last Python
> > layer, it is swallowed by the excepthook and a nice message box pops
> > up, BUT once control returns to the first Python layer
>
> Hi again,
>
> In my opinion, the exception hook should never even return. That's what
> I meant when I said your application should then close. When you're
> dealing with an uncaught exception anyway, something has gone wrong and
> it is generally wise not to attempt to keep running, lest data
> corruption and bad karma occur, in that approximate order.

You might be right about that the exception hook should not return, at least
now I do some cleaning up when I detect the application is about to
exit. This approach has at least not proved to be a problem before. But, I
don't know whether the exception will be handled before I return control to
the Qt event loop. In the scenario I described in my previous mail, there is
an inner and an outer Python block.  The except hook will be invoked before
control is returned to the first Python block (invoked by the Qt event
loop), and so the first block will never get the chance to handle the
exception.

I am not sure that what you seem to be asking for is at all possible --
> it would involve making the Qt event loop aware of Python exceptions, I
> think, which doesn't at all sound like good Feng Shui to me.

I was hoping maybe PyQt (with some sip magic?) would be able to trap
exceptions only at the event loop level (in the interface between my code
and the event loop).

If you really, really want to deal with Python exceptions at the
> outermost possible level (which will still be inside the Qt event loop
> level, mind), then I guess you should make an exception hook that will
> store the exception stack in some global variable, push some manner of
> custom event to the application's main event queue (or put the
> exception stack /in/ the custom event), then return, and have a custom
> event handler pull the exception stack off that custom event and only
> THEN process it. And quit.

It's possible, certainly, but very brittle since I have to check after
control returns from a Qt method invoked from Python whether an exception
has been detected in the meantime.

Arve