[PyQt] PyQt apps deployment under Windows

Miguel Lobo mlobol at gmail.com
Mon May 21 20:25:15 BST 2007

Hi,

I faced the same question some time ago for my PyQt application and decided
that the distribution form that allows easiest deployment under Windows is a
single file (the executable) with no installation.

The way I do that is basically creating my executable with Qt, PyQt, sip,
python and my program linked statically.  After compressing the executable
with UPX, it has a size of about 3 MB, of which about 2.5-2.8 MB are due to
the static libraries and the rest to my program proper.

The downside of this approach is that the process to prepare the build
environment is a bit long and not terribly simple, especially patching
Python 2.5 and building a static python25.lib library.  Of course, this only
has to be done once.

If you're insterested I can provide detailed information on how to achieve
this.

Regards,
Miguel