[PyQt] Question about distributing GPL'd apps

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 18:37:33 GMT 2007

On Thursday 15 March 2007 5:50 pm, stephen at theboulets.net wrote:
> Sorry, couldn't find the answer in the FAQs.
>
> If I make a GPL'd app (I'm thinking of windows especially) using PyQt, am
> I allowed to make a binary installer to distribute it? Thanks.

Yes, so long as you conform to the terms of the license, particularly (in this
case) section 3...

  3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

    a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
    source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections
    1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

    b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
    years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
    cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
    machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
    distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
    customarily used for software interchange; or,

    c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer
    to distribute corresponding source code.  (This alternative is
    allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you
    received the program in object code or executable form with such
    an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)