Slow file dialog (was [PyKDE] Re: PyKDE Digest, Vol 32, Issue 10)

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Tue Mar 6 22:38:23 GMT 2007

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 15:17:37 -0800, Tony Cappellini wrote:

> >>If you can, create an equivalent C++ Qt test. If you see the same delay,
> >>then look at the Qt mailing lists, support, etc.
>
> I doubt I could do that to an degree of success.
> I don't know C++ and would likely add more problems to this trying to
> get there, than there already are. If there is anything else I can to
> move this along, let me know.

Can you try one of the examples that uses a file dialog in a similar way
to your application? It's possible that you'll see the same behaviour.

> >>FWIW, I remember some versions of Qt3 had performance problems in the
> >>file dialogs due to networked drives and/or networked user accounts.
>
> It sounds reasonable.
>
> However, I have tried this where I work (from my laptop), which has a
> lot of networked drives, and at home (from the same laptop), where I
> have a wireless network, but do not have any drives mapped.
>
> I need to reinstall Py2.5, and the same version of QT, sip, PyQt on my
> desktop machine at home and try the same thing.

Does the problem look like any of the tasks listed on this page?

http://www.trolltech.com/developer/task-tracker/index_html?searchstr=file+dialog+slow&method=advsearch&bugs=on&sugs=on

David