[PyKDE] Threading and multiple processors, any change?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Thu Mar 1 11:16:18 GMT 2007

On Thursday 01 March 2007 10:47 am, V. Armando Sole wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just have a simple question (that does not imply a simple answer).
>
> With all the new options/possibilities recently discussed concerning the
> GIL handling, is it possible to profit of multiple processors in Python
> using QThreads thru PyQt4?

The issues of a single GIL haven't gone away. The only difference is that the
GIL is (probably) released much more frequently than it was before. The
changes are to do with correctness (specifically deadlock avoidance) rather
than performance.

I don't know what the performance effect would be on a multi-processor. Matt
said that he could run more threads but I don't know what hardware he has. I
noticed a (small) degradation on my uni-processor - as would be expected.