No subject

Thu Mar 8 10:26:06 GMT 2007

sip or PyQt patch as it would upgrade to a new version (and
isn't much help for rpm versions). The problem here is really
PyKDE (or again, me), and that's where the fix needs to be.

> A third solution would be a sip 3.7.1 that works with PyQt
> 3.7.0, 3.7.1, and 3.7.2, if you know what I mean. I think this
> would alleviate a lot of issues in all three packages. This is
> a lot of work to implement, even more work to maintain, and
> probably not a good idea at this point. However, maintaining
> backwards compatibility is a worthy goal of all software
> projects.

The problem is that something has to give somewhere in this whole
thing. It's feasible to maintain support across a wide number of
versions of Qt, KDE, Python and gcc, but it's not as easy to
maintain compatibility across sip versions (depends on the
changes). Again, if PyKDE stays in sync (which it *should* be
possible to do), the problem mostly goes away.

> I will add that the barriers I see to people adopting sip,
> PyQt, and PyKDE are the problems of getting the right versions
> to play together, while also getting the latest bug fixes. It
> is outright frustrating at times. I myself stick with the 3.5
> supplied with RedHat 8, just so that I can stabilize my
> development. I think all three suggestions above should help
> to lower this barrier.

I agree - I'd add that PyKDE lagging both sip/PyQt and KDE isn't
a good thing.

> These are just my opinions, based on what I have seen and
> heard. I hope they are challenged and corrected as
> appropriate.

Actually, I think you're trying to be too nice. The problem is
definitely with PyKDE and me. If I thought a different
maintainer would fix the problem I'd be all for that, and if I
thought getting more development help would be a solution, I'd
be asking for that. Most everything *should* be in place to
solve most of this - I just didn't allow for a large amount of
user input (which I'm all in favor of) and then got stuck doing
a lot of other stuff. I should have got the 3.6 release out
first and *then* started patching, and that's what I'll probably
patches, bug-fixes, etc).

I can post what the PyKDE development process involves if anyone
is interested. It's quite different than a normal C++ or Python
project.

Jim