[PyQt] Is there an easy way to install pyqt?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Jun 20 09:52:06 BST 2007

On 20.06.07 14:11:15, hok kakada wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I have written my program using python language and qt as its GUI.
> In order to run it, it needs so many requirements as list below:
>
> sip-4.4.5 or higher a Python C/C++ Bindings Generator
> http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/sip/
>
> PyQt-x11-gpl-4.0 or higher, the Python bindings for the Qt GUI toolkit
> http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt
>
> Qt4.2 or higher, a GUI toolkit
> http://www.trolltech.com/developer/downloads/qt
>
> Python 2.3 or higher (shipped with most Linux distributions)
> http://www.python.org/
>
> Moreover, installing pyqt and qt take lots of time, about half a day or a day,
> if problem exist.

Half a day?? Did you ever try the -c j <num> options to configure.py?
And Qt should come with your distro.

> In addition, I was wondering why there is no rpm files for downloading?

Because most linux distro's ship it out-of-the-box and because Phil has
only limited time I guess.

> I browsed through their websites, but I couldn't find the rpm file
> that is, I think, easier for normal user.

Use your distro's packages and if they don't have one, bug them to
provide one.

> Further more, the current version of pyqt is  PyQt-x11-gpl-4.2.tar.gz, and I
> want to use the backward version PyQt-x11-gpl-4.0.tar.gz, unfortunately I
> couldn't find on the pyqt website.

You don't need PyQt4.0, use PyQt4.2 it also works with Qt4.2 and fixes
quite some bugs of 4.0.

Andreas

--
You are a very redundant person, that's what kind of person you are.