[PyQt] PyQt v4.3a1 Binary Installer for Windows

Gerard Vermeulen gerard.vermeulen at grenoble.cnrs.fr
Tue Jul 3 19:10:08 BST 2007

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:10:05 +0100
Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk> wrote:

> Whether you include a release or a snapshot is entirely up to you.

http://pyqwt.sourceforge.net/snapshot/PyQwt-5.0.1a.tar.gz

is a snapshot.  I will only do some minor packaging tweaks
before releasing.

> I need to be able to build and install a static Qwt library.

PyQwt-5.0.1a/qwt-5.0 is a SVN snapshot which is a
bit more recent than the latest official release Qwt-5.0.2.

In principle, all you have to do is edit
PyQwt-5.0.1a/qwt-5.0/qwtconfig.pri:

1. comment out the line
CONFIG           += QwtDll
(should produce a static lib)

2. uncomment the line
#CONFIG     += QwtSVGItem
(so that Qwt can export its graphs to SVG)

and run qmake, etc..

I think you shouldn't do anything special to build the Qwt
designer plugin, but ..

> I will need a URL to the documentation (which will go in the Start
> menu).

The Qwt documentation is at
http://qwt.sourceforge.net/
The complementary documentation for PyQwt is at
http://pyqwt.sourceforge.net/doc5/pyqwt.html

The tarball contains all documentation, see
PyQwt-5.0.1a/configure/PyQwt.nsi.in, if you
decide to include it in your package.

> When you build and install PyQwt, is building and installing Qwt a
> separate step or is it all one thing? I'd prefer two steps as I would
> install Qwt, but would get the .sip files and examples from the
> source package.

Once you have the static Qwt library you can build PyQwt from
the PyQwt-5.0.1a/configure directory:

python configure.py -I qwt-header-dir -L qwt-lib --disable-numpy
(python configure.py --help)

and run make and make install

To run the quite a few examples (eg. ReallySimpleDemo.py) you
need to install numpy (PyQwt plots also data consisting of lists
and tuples, but slower than numpy arrays).  The --disable-numpy
prevents that the PyQwt build finds numpy so that PyQwt does
not try to import numpy.  However, PyQwt can still copy data out of
numpy arrays but is independent of a particular version of
numpy (or recent versions of its predecessors -- Numeric and
numarray -- if users can choose what they like).

A numpy exe is at
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/numpy/numpy-1.0.3.win32-py2.5.exe?modtime=1179938051&big_mirror=0

PyQwt install a module iqt which has become superfluous
(PyOsInputHook) with PyQt4 and some other python modules
which are probably not very useful on windows (qplt.py and grace.py).

Gerard

PS: PyQwt builds on 64 and 32bit Linux with your latest snapshots
and on 32bit Windows with your latest GPL releases (did not test
the snapshots)