[PyKDE] pykde newbie--several questions

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Thu Jan 4 21:32:54 GMT 2007

On Thursday 04 January 2007 12:12, Kenneth McDonald wrote:
> As a long-time Python user, I'm interested in the possibilities offered
> by Python access to something as powerful as KDE. It's been quite a few
> years since I've used Linux (currently using mostly OS X), so please
> forgive me if some of the questions below are naive.
>
> 1) My understanding is that KDE 4 will run on OS X and Windows. Will
> pykde also support those platforms, under KDE 4?

My release (the tarball at riverbankcomputing.co.uk) will only build against
Linux. The KDE version may build on other platforms if someone does the
necessary work - I don't have OSX or Windows environments to do development
or testing in. I would expect there to be compiler, library and packaging
issues.

> 2) It appears that pykde can access the DOM inside an HTML window in a
> great deal of detail. Is it possible to write pykde scripts that create
> an HTML window, receive events from the window, and then update the DOM
> of the window 'live' so that the user sees their action reflected in the
> contents of the window? To put it more simply, is it possible to script
> applications that simply use the HTML DOM as the user interface?

I believe so, but haven't done it. There are methods for loading HTML into a
khtml part, I believe.

> 3) When and if pykde/KDE 4 supports OS X and Windows, are there any
> guesses as to it will be possible to write apps that (pretty much)
> appear to be native apps to users?

That depends on how KDE does its code, but I would think so. Qt seems to
support native look and feel, but again, I don't have any way to check that
out.

> 4) Is pykde included with (or easily installable on) Kubuntu? That's the
> Linux version I'm looking at installing on my Intel Mac.

Yes - some people here are kubuntu developers, and I believe kubuntu uses
PyKDE for some functions. PyKDE should be usable on any Linux version that
supports KDE and Qt/PyQt.

Jim