[PyKDE] Multi-Platform Application Packaging Advice

Richard Taylor rjt-pyqt at thegrindstone.me.uk
Sat Feb 24 19:30:47 GMT 2007

Hi

I am working on a GPL'ed PyQt application that I would like to ship on Linux,
Mac and Windows.

Does anyone know of any information or advice on how best to package a PyQt
application?

On Linux it is not a real problem, I know how to write rpm,deb,ebuild packages
and the dependencies will be resolved by the platform. But for Windows and
Mac it is not so easy. I can't really expect my users to build PyQt
themselves before they can run my application. I guess I need a way of
packaging Python/Qt/PyQt and my app into a single package.

Are there any examples of existing PyQt applications with user friendly
installers on Windows and Mac?

Many thanks for any help.

Richard