[PyKDE] Advice on getting a patch reviewed by the CPython devs?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Wed Feb 14 18:50:17 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 14 February 2007 5:49 pm, Miguel Lobo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few weeks ago I submitted a patch to the CPython team (you can see the
> patch here:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1644818&group_id=5
>470&atid=305470), but for the moment it does not seem to have been reviewed
> or commented on.
>
> As that patch would be especially useful for PyQt4 users, and Python-dev
> seems to be a high traffic list (where it would be easy to be ignored), I
> thought perhaps someone in this list who is familiar with the CPython
> development process could advise me.  Should I do something to get the
> attention of the CPython devs?  Should I just forget about getting the
> patch in the official Python release and just apply the patch myself (which
> suits me just fine, but it's not as useful to other people)?

The usual response is along the lines that the reviewers are very busy and
could you possibly help by reviewing some other patches. The problem with
this approach is that you need a completely different level of experience to
review a patch than you do to create one.

I can only suggest you ask the question (very politely), say that you are
willing to help out with something else in return while making clear what
your capabilities are.