[PyKDE] Re: Inserting widgets "into" a QGroupBox (David Boddie)

Tony Cappellini cappy2112 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 21:34:16 GMT 2007

> >>then put a grid layout inside the left group box

I think I'll skip the grid for now.
The Find Files widget does'nt need to be there. Files will be effectively
handled by the FileOpen broswer.
I put it there just for the moment.

The convert button can also be in the left vLayout- in the same column as
the widgets above it.

> I've done all the steps you specified.
>
> >>Now comes the tricky bit. You need to apply a grid layout to the widgets
> in

When you say 'widgets'- do you mean all of the group boxes as well (except
for the outer-most group box)- in the left layout, or just the widgets
inside of the group boxes?
Do I apply the grid layout to the spacers as well?

>>the left hand group box then apply vertical layouts to all the group boxes
> within that group box. This will make editing the form quite difficult until
> >>it is done.

After I applied the grid box, a red box appeared around the outline of the
grid layout, and squished everything vertically.
I've selected the 3 inner group boxes, but the APply Layout buttons are
disabled.

>>Generally speaking, I think many people come to Qt's layout system from
> >>systems where you place and resize widgets to have fixed geometries, and
> >>they're upset that you can't do this once you apply layouts to widgets.

upset- not, but lost yes. Looking at the docs, there's one paragraph about
the layouts
I'd say knowing how to apply the layouts & spacers are 80% of using
Designer.

I had originally dragged the layouts onto the from, instead of applying
them.
Not sure what the differences are, but my way obviously didn't work.

>>I think it could be improved and made less like a presentation. Some of
> the
> >>earlier slides could be removed, for example.

Visual information is good.
Also- before after, like when selecting widgets, then applying the layouts .

>>OK. This kind of reinforces my impressions about "learning layouts". As I
> >>said above, I think people sometimes have preconceptions about how to

Sure- I came in with expectations that applied to a previous WYSIWIG, which
isn't the way to go.

>>create user interfaces that aren't quite applicable when using layouts,

> >>or there's some confusion about what layouts actually are.

I Agree