[PyKDE] konsole_part again

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sat Sep 30 17:35:25 BST 2006

On Saturday 30 September 2006 08:11, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 08:19:33PM -0700, JIm Bublitz wrote:
> > Previously, by request, I had added support for konsole_part to PyKDE.
> > Subsequently, I ran into problems with it, and removed it.
> >
> > Today I tried adding it back in again (thinking I knew how to fix the
> > problems) and it seems to work fine again without any difficulties. I'm
> > planning on leaving it in for the future and I think I can fix it if the
> > same problems as before come up.
> >
> > What I don't have is any way of testing it, or any knowledge about
> > whether I've provided sufficient support. I'd appreciate it if someone
> > could put together a small test app and/or usage example. I'm not ready
> > to release the next PyKDE version yet (although I may do a snapshot), but
> > I can make a tarball available if someone wants to test out the
> > konsole_part stuff.
> >
> > It should work with any KDE version, but I've only tested the build
> > against KDE 3.5.3. The module konsole_part is in (kparts) loads, and
> > that's usually sufficient to believe the code will work (there's no
> > handwritten code for konsole_part, so everything is sip-generated).
>
> Sounds great.
>
> If you could send me a diff against the previous release I can put
> together a test application to see if it works with all the required
> methods and slots.

There are only two minor changes for PyKDE: the processExited method now takes
a  KProcess* argument, and the konsolePart class has added
ExtTerminalInterface as an additional base class (and the bindings include
that class).  I can send you the sip file if you want (a diff would be about
as large), or you can try out PyKDE 3.16.0, which is on riverbankcomputing
now, or PyKDE 3.16.1, which will be available in a few days (the tarball
offer above was basically a pre-release 3.16.0 version).

It's enabled in 3.16.0, but will require a switch (-x) for 3.16.1, because
there's no guarantee that a particular installation will have built
libkonsolepart with symbols exported, so it's not part of a standard PyKDE
install.

Jim