[PyKDE] PyKDE 3.16.0 released

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Sep 22 20:25:38 BST 2006

The PyKDE 3.16.0 release should be available at riverbankcomputing.co.uk in
the near future (I understand Phil has some repairs to do there, and has been
out of town as well, so it may take a day or two - or not).

Changes are (some already available in earlier snapshots):

- support for KDE through 3.5.3
- restored support for konsolepart, but only for KDE >= 3.5.0
- DCOP extensions fix (thanks to Matthias Panzenbock)
- KConfigSkeletonFix (thanks to Michael Franz Aigner)
- pykde_sampler (in examples directory - thanks to Troy Melhase)
- configure.py now automatically detects lib64 for kdelibs
- numerous small fixes related to versioning and automatic sip file generation

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:

Requirements
==========

**** This version REQUIRES sip >= 4.4.0, PyQt >= 3.16.0 and Qt >= 3.2.0. ****

If someone has a problem with those requirements, I can make an older release
available. It becomes increasingly time-consuming to support older software
versions.

I haven't tried Python 2.5 yet, but don't expect any problems (please post if
you build against Python 2.5, successfully or not - otherwise, I'll test it
eventually).

I have built PyKDE successfully against the latest sip snapshot.

KDE version support
==============

I've fixed the tools that generate PyKDE, so support for KDE 3.5.3 *could*
have been done automatically end-to-end. Support for KDE 3.5.4 should be very
simple to do, and there will probably be a PyKDE 3.16.1 within a week or two
(including bug fixes from this release).

I have backtested against KDE 3.5.x and 3.4.x (several versions of each) and
KDE 3.1.4. I apparently wiped my partitions with 3.2 and 3.3, and don't plan
to rebuild those, so I haven't tested there. However, with bug fixes in code
generation, this version is very clean as far as previous KDE versions, and
if bugs do pop up, I'll be happy to fix them. I was going to test against KDE
3.0.x, but the distribution is so old it would have been a lot of work to get
a current sip/PyQt/PyKDE set working there. If there are problems with older
versions, I'll fix them (assuming you meet the sip/PyQt/Qt requirements
above)

Again, older versions that will work against all previous KDE 3.x.x versions
are available.

There shouldn't be any problems with Python source code written against
earlier PyKDE or KDE versions.

konsolePart
========

I thought the problems with this on KDE 3.4.x were just a few missing symbols
in libkonsolepart, however, after further investigation (and my own
amazement) it appears that the SuSE builds of libkonsolepart for KDE 3.4.x
don't have ANY of the symbols needed to support libkonsolepart - I'm not sure
how that works. I can't speak for other distributions, but I have no way to
build this for KDE 3.4 and so can't support it (and it would make PyKDE
unbuildable for SuSE users using KDE 3.4 as far as I can tell).

It builds and installs for KDE >= 3.5.0, so I've set it up that way. If you
need it for KDE < 3.5.0 and have a working libkonsolepart, it's fairly easy
to modify PyKDE to make it available for you (but not generally). I'll post
instructions if anyone wants them.

I also have no experience with this code and no way to actually test it, so I
would appreciate some testing and example code contributions from users who
want this feature.

pykde_sampler
==========

This is a cool widget and other feature demo from Troy Melhase. It currently
only supports a few widgets and could use extending - if you want to
contribute, this is a good place to start.

Other Bugs
========

There are some outstanding problems with importing KParts and with
KGlobalAccel that will take a lot more time to dig into, so I've postpone
those for now. I expect a lot of stuff from KDE3 (including PyKDE bugs) will
carryover to KDE4, so I do expect to address these as time is available.

As usual, bug reports, feature suggestions and other comments are solicited
and encouraged. And thanks again to all those who contributed code,
suggestions, bug reports, questions and other stuff on this list.

Jim