[PyKDE] PyQt 4 on openSUSE (update, questions)

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Mon Sep 18 19:13:50 BST 2006

Hello,

On Thursday 14 September 2006 17:39, Joachim Werner wrote:
> The starting point is that we currently only have the kdebindings3 version
> of
> sip, PyQt, and PyKDE in openSUSE.
>
> We don't really want to change this for the openSUSE 10.2 release, but at
> the
> same time I'd like to have PyQt 4, at least as an option.

> So, where exactly will we have to expect problems?
> PyQt 3 and PyQt 4 can be installed into the same Python, right?
> The sip from kdebindings3 will conflict with the sip PyQt 4 needs, right?

It hasn't been tested. If libsip has a different so name and the *.so Python
modules in ../python2.4/site-packages/.. don't conflict then I think it might
be possible.

I haven't used PyQt4 yet, but it looks like all of the modules are kept
separate in a PyQt4 directory. You might be in luck.

> Can I get around that conflict by just installing it to a different place
> than
> it is now?
> Or can we just use sip 4.4.5 for building our PyQt3 and PyKDE3? The problem
> with that would be that we'd have to touch the current kdebindings3-python.
> don't like that idea very much.

That is also any option. Kubuntu does this actually.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/