KDE 4 (was: [PyKDE] PyQt 4 on openSUSE)

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Sep 11 20:29:37 BST 2006

On 11.09.06 20:47:31, Simon Edwards wrote:
> On Saturday 09 September 2006 16:36, Phil Thompson wrote:
> > On Friday 08 September 2006 8:46 pm, Simon Edwards wrote:
> > > What we want to be able to tell users and 3rd party developers is that a
> > > KDE 4.0 application written in Python will work fine on any 4.0+ version
> > > of
> > > KDE, just like how it is with C++ apps. By just work fine, I mean that
> > > binary packages containing SIP wrapped C++ classes and normal Python code
> > > should stay working between versions. This seems to require that SIP and
> > > libsip maintain BC during the KDE 4 series. I'd like to see mixed language
> > > development supported. Is this realistic? or should no BC guarantees be
> > > given? Phil, what are your thoughts about SIP binary compatibiity in the
> > > future?
> >
> > I think SIP and PyKDE binary compatibility are irrelevant because Python 2.m
> > may not be binary compatible with Python 2.n. Any benefits of KDE requiring
> > compatibility are immediately lost so I can't see the point in imposing the
> > requirement in the first place.
>
> Although the situation is hardly perfect, it is not quite as bad as what you
> might think. What distros do is support installing multiple versions of
> python and then package modules for specific versions. Using Debian/Kubuntu
> as an example, you would see packages called:
>
> 	python2.4-qt
> 	python2.4-kde
>
> and
>
> 	python2.5-qt
> 	python2.5-kde

That's not quite true anymore, at least for Etch and onwards you'll only
have

python-qt3

which provides pyqt3 for python2.4 and 2.3 (atm, but possibly also 2.5).
I don't know how this new python policy works, but that is what happened
a couple of weeks ago.

Andreas

--
You will be singled out for promotion in your work.