KDE 4 (was: [PyKDE] PyQt 4 on openSUSE)

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sat Sep 9 21:49:46 BST 2006

On Saturday 09 September 2006 07:11, Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Thursday 07 September 2006 11:17 pm, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> > What I would like to see is Phil's new sip generation tool (if he's
> > willing to release it into the open world) applied to KDE, with the
> > (possibly) missing pieces added from Jim's presip. That way, the
> > maintainance work could be (at least semi) automated and reduced to an
> > edible effort.
>
> My reticence about releasing MetaSIP is simply that it is a personal
> productivity tool with a corresponding level of installation instructions
> and documention. I simply don't have the time to get it into a better
> state, or to deal with the inevitable questions that would arise if it was
> released in its current state. Also a public release would imply a
> commitment to backwards compatibility which I don't want to make.
>
> However, I don't have a problem with giving a copy privately to Jim (or
> whoever) if it helps.

Same here..

Plus there are potential copyright liability problems (at least for US
residents) depending on how the laws about "contributory infringement"
change, as tools like this are designed to create derivative works. That
isn't just paranoia, as I've already encountered one situation where someone
wanted to create bindings for proprietary software.

Jim