[PyKDE] The New PyKDE Sampler Application

Troy Melhase troy at gci.net
Fri Sep 1 07:34:08 BST 2006

Hi,

Two years ago, I started to write an application to show off PyKDE.  The
intent was to provide something akin to the wxPython demo.  The motivation
was to display the goodness that is Python, KDE and PyKDE.

After discussion with Jim, the project fell off my radar.  But now it's back,
and it's (almost) ready for prime time.  There aren't many samples, and I
don't have a how-to completed, but both of those will be done real soon, and
you can help.

You can help in two ways.  First, you can check out the code, run it, and let
me know how if it works or not on your system.  Second, you can contribute a
sample -- a module that shows how to use a particular KDE or Qt widget.

I designed the app for ease of writing and including samples, and for clarity
of sample code.  All that's required to implement a sample is a module within
the application directory tree that defines a callable named MainFrame.  No
special imports, no special dance to integrate with the sampler.  In the
absence of docs, refer to the included samples to get started writing your
own.

Home page:

    http://code.google.com/p/pykde-sampler/

Checkout instructions:

    svn checkout http://pykde-sampler.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ pykde-sampler

Then run:

    python pykde-sampler/sampler.py

I'll be writing the how-to doc and posting more in the coming days.  Please
feel free to drop me a note with any feedback you have.  Thanks.

troy