[PyKDE] PyQt to PyKDE migration

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Tue Oct 3 17:23:07 BST 2006

On Tuesday 03 October 2006 05:56, Kushal Das wrote:
> Hi,
> I have written a small PyQt app known as Kphotobymail
> (http://kphotobymail.sourceforge.net)
> Now here the main Ui is a QMainWindow... from which I am building the
> QApplication class.
>
> I want to migrate it to PyKDE now, so any one can help me to understand
> that how can I make the changes.. will be a gr8 help.
> Me also looking for some tutorials that how can I use Qt designer for
> PyKDE..

The principle difference is that KDE uses KApplication instead of
QApplication. You could also switch from QMainWindow to KMainWindow, although
it probably isn't strictly necessary. KDE also uses i18n for translation
(available in PyKDE's kdecore module), while Qt uses tr.

Beyond that, PyKDE/KDE just offer some additional widgets and features, and
using PyKDE/KDE will allow you to create dialog boxes and other things that
correspond more closely to KDE's "look and feel".

Jim