[PyKDE] Dependency on sip.pyd

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Wed Nov 8 17:07:36 GMT 2006

Hello,

I happen to waste a lot of time dealing with sip.pyd binary dependency and
binary compatibility between different SIP versions.

Our local policy is to use a different PyQt/Qt version *per-project* (so
that each project can upgrade Qt separately and indepently). This means that
I have many different PyQt versions (3.x and 4.x) and a miriad of
sip.exe/sip.pyd files around. I keep all these .pyd files within a
site-package directory *local* in each project, but still it is a big mess.

Now, I don't want to bore you with this mess, and I'm sure that moving to an
egg-based distribution is the final way to go (so that you can simply use
pkg_resources.require("sip==4.5,pyqt==3.15") and everything will work), but
I think that a single point of failure that could be optimized out by *NOT*
having any sip.pyd binary around.

Is it possible to add an option so that modules built with SIP do *not*
require sip.pyd (and instead link all the required code directly within the
module)? This will also allow us to mixmatch binary modules that were
produced with different versions of SIP, without the need of recompiling
them all when SIP is upgraded.

[I understand that having sip.pyd shared across qt*.pyd is actually
required -- but I already compile all the modules together in a single
qt.pyd file; and I have many other SIP extensions which *do not* need to
share the same objmap or whatever with pyqt].
--
Giovanni Bajo