[PyKDE] VendorID installation

Ulrich Berning ulrich.berning at denviso.de
Wed May 17 13:48:42 BST 2006

Jose Paulino Carvalho Ascencao schrieb:

>I have a error while installing VendorID:
>
>When running 'setup.py install' it says that
>"The .NET framework needs to be installed before building extensions for
>Python"
>

>I first had the same message when running the build command, but then I
>used the '-c mingw32' option and had no errors.
>

>What shall I do?

I never had MinGW in mind when I created the VendorID package. I
thought, if one does commercial application development with Python, Qt
and PyQt, the additional costs for a Visual Studio Standard Edition are
negligible. If you do open source development with the GPL editions of
Qt4 and PyQt4, you do not need the VendorID functionality. But maybe you
need it to protect your own extension modules.

---

If you run "python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32 install", it should
build and install the header file in "<sys.prefix>\include" and the
module in "<sys.prefix>\Lib\site-packages". The static library
libvendorid.a must be copied manually to "<sys.prefix>\libs".

You can also skip the install step and copy all files manually:

copy build\lib.win32-2.4\vendorid.pyd C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages
copy build\clib_lib.win32-2.4\libvendorid.a C:\Python24\libs
copy lib\vendorid.h C:\Python24\include

Adjust path and version number accordingly.

The next problem will be sib.py. It doesn't support MinGW at the moment.
I have a modified version with MinGW support available, but haven't had
the time to build a new release yet.

I will try to build a new release of VendorID that contains support for
MinGW as soon as possible.

---

Ulli