[PyKDE] Network Transparency Help

Paul Waldo pwaldo at waldoware.com
Tue May 16 02:01:49 BST 2006

Hi all,

I'm trying to write a PyKDE application that, among other things, does bulk
file copying.  I'm trying to write this with Network Transparency in mind.
Rather than just being able to copy files from /my/directory/*
to /your/directory/ (recursively), I want the user to be able to specify
something like copying from ftp://my.machine.com/my/directory to
ftp://your.machine.com/your/directory.

There does not seem to be a whole lot of help I have been able to find.  I've
googled on just about every phrase having to do with the concepts.  There
seem to be a fair amount of documentation on single operation tasks, such as
using KIO::mkdir, but not a lot of info on what I need to use:
KIO::listRecursive.

I was hoping someone could point me to some info and/or sample code that uses
KIO::listRecursive.  That is my first choice but, in lieu of that, maybe
someone can spot what I am doing wrong here:

from qt import *
from kdecore import *
from kdeui import *
from kio import *

class FileLocator:
    def __init__(self, parent, url):
        self._parent = parent
        self._url = url

    def locateFiles(self):
        startUrl = KURL(self._url)
        job = KIO.listRecursive(startUrl)
        QObject.connect(job, SIGNAL("entries(KIO::Job *,
		const KIO::UDSEntryList &)"), self.newItems)

    def newItems(job, list):
        print job
        print list

When I create an instance of FileLocator and call its locateFiles method, I
get a progress dialog that hangs around for a while, but newItems() never
gets called.  I was expecting that once listRecursive() found all the files,
newItems() would be called with all of the found items in list.

Any help or links to examples would be greatly appreciated!

Paul