[PyKDE] DLL Hell: PyQt with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005

Kyzivat, Keith Keith.Kyzivat at hospira.com
Mon May 8 23:08:11 BST 2006

Hello all,

I’m trying to get PyQt Commercial installed in a Microsoft Windows environment (it’s working fine on my Linux boxen), but have hit DLL hell.

It would appear to me that it is a problem with the new way Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 seems to be dealing with DLL registration and such.

Initially, when SIP was installed, sip.exe (when configuring PyQt) wouldn’t run – complaining that it couldn’t find the visual c runtime library (msvcr80.dll).  That turned out to be because the linker doesn’t merge the manifest file by default.  The manifest file contains info on where to find associated DLLs.   The linker doesn’t embed them by default, nor does it provide a command line switch to the linker to tell it to embed.

I corrected this by calling out to another program “mt” to embed the manifest file (sip.exe.manifest) into sip.exe:

>mt –manifest sip.exe.manifest –outputresource:sip.exe;#1

When installing PyQT, I had to do the same for the half-dozen or so other manifest files.

Now, once installed, when I execute a python script that imports from the PyQt module, it bitches about not finding the Microsoft visual c runtime library (msvcr80.dll)

Anyone have any ideas?

Keith Kyzivat

Software Engineer

Hospira Sedation, Inc.