[PyKDE] How To Publish a pyqt application

V. Armando Sole sole at esrf.fr
Tue Mar 28 11:31:20 BST 2006

Hi,

At 11:35 28/03/2006 +0200, linux at lexpress.net wrote:
>Hello all
>
>thanks for that nice mailling-list ; and also pyqt .
>but i have a serious problem with pyqt.
>the problem is that i can't (or i don't know how to) publish my
>applications written using pyqt .
>as you know every pyqt application begins with from qt import * and qt
>itself imports sip and qscintilla .
>
>so if i give my .py application to some one who has only linux installed
>with python it won't work because he don't have pyqt installed
>
>i have tried cx-freeze in order to build a binary executable but it comes
>with a lot of errors .

I use cx_freeze on windows and on linux and it is simply the easiest for
the end user. I distribute binaries build under SuSE 8.2 and they work on
any linux flavour around. The main source or error coming from your code is
the reading of (non python) files. You have to find out where your frozen
version is looking for them (just a couple of prints before each file load
should give you a hint about where it is looking for them).

Some libraries will not be found and you will have to add them by hand. But
that you will see it from the reported errors.

My advice is that you should not give up and keep trying with cx_freeze.

Greetings,

Armando