[PyKDE] PyQt4 apps and Python eggs

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jun 27 23:05:12 BST 2006

On 27.06.06 17:40:40, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> I'd like to have my app built as egg, which theoretically works, but
> there are 2 issues that I'd like to clear up here:
>
> 1. Can loadUiType work on a StringIO? I guess not (had a short look at
> the code), but could this be added? It would make it possible to have
> .ui-files included in Python eggs for easy distribution.
>
> 2. Translationfiles, I'm not sure at all how to handle these with
> regards to Python eggs. Could installing a QTranslator that I load from
> a Python string with the data work?

Just to put an answer into the archive:

After some discussion with other python-devs on python-de Mailinglist
wrt to setuptools and data files in general, I decides to do the
following:

for 1. I'm going to let pyuic4 compile the ui files and put the code
into the egg. This is easier to work with and is easier for distribution
packagers to work with.

for 2. I'm going to include the .qm files inside the egg and will either
load the qm file using ressource_string (from RessourceManager API) or
ressource_filename, depending on wether I can get QTranslator::load()
take the string.

Andreas

--
You'll wish that you had done some of the hard things when they were easier
to do.