[PyKDE] Print Quality

Jose David david at jotux.org
Sat Jun 24 20:47:17 BST 2006

David Boddie escreveu:
> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 08:25:23 +0100, Jose David wrote:
>
>> After long googling hours and reading tutorials and manuals, i come to
>> ask for help in the list.
>>
>> Im trying to print with a QPainter on QPrinter and everything whorks
>> fine, except the print quality.
>>
>> I have a true-type font server installed, postscript interpreters,
>> everything needed to produce quality prints and i am able to do so
>> from every program i have, except the one im writing in pyqt. :(:(
>
> Have you tried some of the Qt or PyQt examples and demos that deal with
> printing? Do they also suffer from the same problem?

Yes i did, and yes it's the same :(
>> Currently i have set the printer quality from 72 to maximum quality
>> with no better result.
>
> This probably won't have much effect on font rendering. I seem to remember
> that this was a subject of confusion on the qt-interest mailing list.
Same idea, but i tried anyway

>> The problem, i think, comes from the font conversions, i have heletica
>> font in my system and its the only one i can print with full quality,
>> no other one whorks fine. The prints fonts always look lyke a low
>> resolution bitmap. ;(;(
>
> I guess it could be a font setup issue. Can you post some code that shows
> the problem?
Sure, just point to http://www.jotux.org/code/ and you will find a
printer test dialog and some pdf printed in my system.

The pdfs where printed to a cups-pdf printer, which is giving the
exact same output as the normal printers i have, a Minolta 1300w and a
Epson stylus cx3650.

I whas fooled, the font that prints fine its the Nimbus Sans L , i
whas specifying Helvetica but as the name of the one i have its
diferent it whas falling back to Nimbus.

With the printer_tests.py you can see the one you choosed and the font
that the painter uses in the printer.

>> As anyone experienced the same problem ??
>>
>> Any solution ??
>>
>> Im running python 2.3.5 and qt 3.3.6
>
> Thanks for the version information! I assume you're running Linux, or some
> Unix that uses X11 as its display system, since you're using a font server.
Yes, its Debian GNU/Linux  and it rocks ;-)

> David

Thanks for the reply, as anyone had this problem or its just me??
The problem seems to bee in all versions of Debian, stable testing and
unstable.

If you have other systems and can try i will apreciate.

Best Regards,

José David