[PyKDE] Konsole KPart in pykde

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Mon Jul 24 18:01:26 BST 2006

On Friday 21 July 2006 05:02, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> What's the status of the Konsole KPart in pykde?
>
> According to the changelog it was added then removed with
> "Backed out konsolepart code (undefined symbol problem)".  How likely
> is it this problem can be fixed?

From 10/13/2005:

    Backed out konsolepart code (undefined symbol problem)
    ===================================

    These are problems I ran into on SuSE 10.  ... kdesu and konsolepart have
    problems with unresolved  symbols (at least with the SuSE 10 libs, but I
    suspect other libs as well). konsolepart was added by request this past
    summer, but there are fundamental problems resolving symbols. After fixing
    a few, I still got  someClass::className() undefined errors for QObject
    derived classes - there's no way to prevent sip from generating this based
    on inheritance  (and probably shouldn't be). It appears that KDE compile
    settings are optimizing out some symbols, which sip can't do.

In some cases, problems like this can be fixed by not declaring the basic
class for PyKDE. In this case, I don't think that would work, since KParts
need to be recognized as QObject decendants.

So I think it's unlikely this will be fixable in the near future. What are you
trying to accomplish? There may be another way to do it within PyKDE.

Jim