[PyKDE] [PyQt4] QDate.toString(QtCore.Qt.TextDate) is not UTF-8

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Thu Jan 26 13:35:33 GMT 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 1:10 pm, Ismail Donmez wrote:
> Per 26 Oca 2006 11:29 tarihinde, Andreas Pakulat şunları yazmıştı:
> > On 26.01.06 03:15:54, Ismail Donmez wrote:
> > > I am doing something like this QStatusBar.showMessage("Foo - %s" %
> > > QDate.toString(QtCore.Qt.TextDate))
> >
> > Does it work with:
> >
> > QStatusBar.showMessage(QtCore.QString("Foo -
> > %1").arg(QDate.toString(QtCore.Qt.QTextDate)))
>
> This one works fine too, guess there is a problem with %s, Phil can you
> comment on this?

You are converting Unicode to a string then back to Unicode. PyQt tries (not
very hard) to find a Python codec matching the current Qt codec and falls
back to the default Python codec. This is obviously going wrong at some
point, but I'm not surprised.

Did you do something similar with PyQt3? Did you try with both 3.15.1 and the
current PyQt3 snapshot?