[PyKDE] PyKDE concatenation and gcc4.0.3 [was: New PyKDE snapshot - help needed]

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Jan 20 23:54:49 GMT 2006

On Friday 20 January 2006 11:53, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> On Friday 20 January 2006 20:03, Jim Bublitz wrote:
> > On an 800MHz machine with a 100MHz front side bus, the concatenated
> > version using gcc 3 takes about 45 minutes, the non-concatenated version
> > with gcc 4 takes about 75 minutes, and (as I recall) the non-concatenated
> > version with gcc 3 takes close to 3 hours. So gcc 4 is still much faster,
> > even without concatenation. Thanks for the info on 4.0.3 - I'll modify
> > configure.py to take that into account automatically.
>
> on my amd64 sempron 1.6GHz with 512 Megs, the concatenated versions takes
> more then 3 hours. Because it uses all available RAM and a huge ammount of
> swap space. The normal file by file compile takes only 1 hour.
>
> My harddrive is not the slowest, so it's more an issue of used memory.

Yep - if it goes into swapping it's probably the same or a little worse than
with -i. For 32 bit machines, 512MB should be more than sufficient, and I
think even 256MB will handle it (but just barely).

> > Ricardo Javier Cardenes suggested the concatenation scheme, which I
> > believe is something Debian does. That not only saves users time - it
> > makes development a lot faster, since I probably go through 50-100
> > compiles (many partial though) to get a release out.
>
> Well, for Ubuntu I added the -i switch to avoid concatenating source files,
> because I think there will be issues, with systems compiling source
> packages with less then 512 Megs of physical memory and 1gb of swap space.
>
> think about the 256 megs of physical memory and 512 megs of swap space. I
> was using here actually between 750 to 800 megs of memory (physical +
> virtual).

Some of the speed advantage disappears with newer gcc versions anyway - gcc 4
seems to compile  2X or 3X faster with -i than gcc 3.

Jim