[PyKDE] Re: Scalar types in KConfigSkeleton

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Wed Jan 11 19:36:27 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 11 January 2006 06:49, Akos Polster wrote:
> Jim, I agree with all your worries but
>
> - don't we have a patch already making scalars types work? All we are
> asking for is to include it in the official release (assuming you can
> live with its quality)

One problem is that I don't have the patch, and the links to it no longer
work. I'm assuming the patch is of sufficient quality - I just don't want to
start going the route of creating things like mutable bools or ints for
PyKDE.  I think if you want those things, there are languages that already
implement them. Also, if I make KConfigSkeleton functional now, I'll have to
live with it forever, or I'll break people's existing code.

> - dropping KConfigSkeleton means dropping the whole
> KConfigDialogManager framework.

I believe that's somewhat crippled anyway from what I understand of PyQt's
(absent) support for QPROPERTY (might be wrong though). A Python
implementation might make more sense there too.

> I'd prefer to have this ugly thing released for now and deprecate it
> when a better Python-based solution emerges.

I'd prefer to stick with "simple is better than complex" and "explicit is
better than implicit". I haven't had good experience with adding PyKDE
specific C++ extensions and since for the forseeable future I have to support
and maintain it, I'd rather force the better solution now. I think my time
(which is limited) would be better spent implementing some other requests,
like KAddressBook, or just keeping PyKDE up to date (since I haven't updated
for KDE 3.4.2, 3.4.3 or 3.5.0 yet, and am still working on adapting to recent
sip changes).

Python already includes the ConfigParser module, which supports the Win INI
format - doesn't seem like KDE *rc files are much different than that in
format.

Jim