[PyKDE] Cannot use KUniqueApplication with dcop

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Aug 24 08:26:35 BST 2006

On Thursday 24 August 2006 01:53, Danny Pansters wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 August 2006 23:58, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > I'm trying to make a KUniqueApplication accessible via dcop, but I'm
> > getting the following error:
> >
> > dcop-testapp: ERROR: Communication problem with dcop-testapp, it probably
> > crashed.
> >
> > If I change KUniqueApplication to KApplication, it works just fine. Does
> > anyone know what's going on here? How can I debug this further?
> >
> > Attached small program illustrates the problem (It's mostly the same as
> > in my previous post).
>
> When I used KUniqueApplication I used somewhat different methods for the
> appdata than you do, not all mentioned in the API may be supported by
> py-kde. That may be a lead.

Could you dig those up for me?

> But the thing that stands out is that you never show() your mainwindow. It
> may be implied by KApp but not by KUniqueApp (as this may already have an
> instance running). Just a thought...

It shouldn't be necessary (the testapp does not really have a mainWindow). In
my "real application", I'm showing it at a later point (it's a systray app),
that's where I got the error from. The attached code is just a minimal
example.
--
sebas

Nothing ever becomes real until it is experienced. - John Keats