[PyKDE] Newbie getting started on Debian

Torsten Marek shlomme at gmx.net
Thu Sep 29 11:46:19 BST 2005

Hi Jon,

> I'm new to PyQt/PyKDE programming and want to get started on Debian
> testing (etch).
>
> It appears the Qt bindings are in there but the KDE bindings are
> missing. What are my options for getting it going? I looked on Torsten
> Marek's site: http://diotavelli.net/files/deb/binary
>
> but I think those packages are only for sid (?). I looked on the
> official maintainer's site, but again didn't seem to find any suitable
> packages.
>
> I tried looked at the packages overview for the official maintainer
> here: http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=rcardenes
>
> but to be honest I didn't really know what I was looking at (I'm kinda
> tired at this stage).
>
> I notice the bindings appear to be in sid but there's a grave bug marked
> against python-kde3 saying it isn't installable.

Hi,

you are right, the packages I created are for sid only.
python-kde3 is currently uninstallable in sid, since it has not yet been rebuild
against libqt3-mt with g++ resp. Ricardo did not yet upload the new packages.

> Next I figure I'll compile the latest snapshot of PyKDE from the
> Riverbank site, but after some minutes I get a compile error in the
> kdeui module (looks like a GCC 4 problem).

You cannot compile python-kde3 in etch with g++ 4, since qt3 (libqt3c102-mt) is
still compiled with g++ 3.3, so you have to use that one. You should however
(I'm just guessing here) be able to download the sources for python-kde3
3.11.3-4 from unstable with

$ apt-get source python-kde3

Then switch into the created directory (sth. like python-kde3_3.11.3-3) and hit

$ fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage

(make sure you have installed dpkg-dev and fakeroot installed).
Maybe dpkg-buildpackage tells you that you are missing some build-dependencies,
install them as well.
Depending on the speed of your machine, you should end up with debs of python-kde3.

python-kde3 will not go into etch for quite some time, since the ABI transition
is way from complete. And there's quite a stack of packages, it needs libqt3-mt,
and kdelibs4c2 (from KDE 3.4.x) in etch first.

greetings

Torsten

- --
Torsten Marek <shlomme at gmx.net>
ID: A244C858 -- FP: 1902 0002 5DFC 856B F146  894C 7CC5 451E A244 C858
Keyserver: subkeys.pgp.net