[PyKDE] Building PyKDE on Mandriva 2005 LE

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Tue Sep 27 05:55:45 BST 2005

Hello,

My adventures started when I tried to build PyKDE-snapshot20050829. I
ran configure.py but it complained

"/usr/bin/sip: No such file or directory".

I had the sip RPM installed but there was nothing in /usr/bin, just in
site-packages.

rpm -ql sip reported:
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/sip.so
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/sipconfig.py
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/sipconfig.pyc

It was an older version of sip anyway, 4.0, so that started a chain
reaction of building the latest sip, PyQt, and PyKDE.

When I attempted to build the RPM for sip-4.3.1 RPM, I got:
This is SIP 4.3.1 for Python 2.4 on linux2.
Error: The Qt edition could not be determined by
parsing /usr/lib/qt3//include/qconfig.h.

Gerard Vermueulen submitted a patch that allegedly fixed this problem
here:
<http://mats.imk.fraunhofer.de/pipermail/pykde/2005-May/010434.html>
but it made no difference for me.

Phil Thompson's addition of the -c flag mentioned in this message:
<http://mats.imk.fraunhofer.de/pipermail/pykde/2005-May/010431.html>
was the solution.

So, sip-4.3.1 built, I moved on to PyQt-3.15, which built without a
problem.

PyKDE-snapshot20050829 built without any errors but when I tried to
use KPdf from the PyQt application, I encountered this:

"ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/kdeui.so: undefined
symbol: _ZTV11KDockWindow"

A similar problem is discussed here:
<http://mats.imk.fraunhofer.de/pipermail/pykde/2005-March/009967.html>
but it seems that using gcc >= 3.4 should have alleviated the
problem. Relevant software I am using:

[root at pluto ~]# rpm -q libqt3 gcc kdebase
libqt3-3.3.4-7.1.102mdk
gcc-c++-3.4.3-7mdk
kdebase-3.3.2-100.2.102mdk

How can I work around this problem? Would installing gcc-c++ 4.0.1 and
rebuilding sip, PyQt, and PyKDE help?
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay