[PyKDE] configure.py and feature file

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Wed Sep 7 14:51:09 BST 2005

> Hello,
>
> why does configure.py use an existing feature file, *by default*, if it
> finds one? The usual behaviour of configure scripts is to recheck the
> status
> of the whole system each time they're invoked. After a recompilation of
> Qt,
> I'd expect "configure -c && make && make install" to be sufficient.
> Instead,
> since it reuses the existing feature file, compilation may break.
>
> I am not sure saving a few seconds of compilation of mkfeatures.cpp is
> worth
> the building headaches. I reckon it'd be better if configure.py could do
> just that, and reconfigure everything from scratch.

The reason it is not rebuilt is when you are cross-compiling you can't run
mkfeatures.cpp. Typically this is for embedded systems where a static
features file makes reasonable sense.

However, as you suggest, there is no reason why this needs to be the
default behaviour. It would be better to have a flag which means "keep any
existing features file".