[PyKDE] QString in PyQt4 - Request for Comments

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sat Oct 22 00:50:56 BST 2005

On Friday 21 October 2005 16:02, Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Friday 21 October 2005 8:03 pm, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> > On 10/21/05, Gilbert Ramirez <gram at alumni.rice.edu> wrote:
> > > For me, one of the strong points of Qt is that the documentation for
> > > it is great. Although the documention is for C++, it's still a handy
> > > reference for PyQT programmers because the mapping from Qt/C++ to PyQt
> > > is almost always straightforward. I'd like to keep the
> > > non-straight-forward mappings in the documentation to a minimum,
> > > because no one is going to do as good of a job as writing
> > > documentation for an API that is very different from Qt's.
> >
> > What raises another point: PyQT should include docstrings!
> >
> > Phil, have you considered this?
>
> Yes - it's been on the TODO list for a while.
>
> Current PyQt documentation is effectively handwritten and (therefore) only
> describes differences to Qt. I will add automatic generation of
> documentation to SIP at some point which will describe what is actually
> implemented using Python data types. It would then be easy enough to
> generate a summary as docstrings - maybe as a configuration option. (And if
> anybody has bright ideas about how to automagically generate links to the
> corresponding bit of Qt documentation, I'd like to hear them.)

On the Qt3 docs I have, all of the pages are links
like .../<classname>.html#<method name> basically - it looks a little
trickier for ctors or overloaded methods, but at least it's easy to get
close.

I generate PyKDE docs (which aren't much more than method signatures) from the
same code that parses h files -> sip files - it's probably easier to spit out
HTML than sip syntax. KDE has made the docs more difficult to generate links
for though - I think the intrapage links (#) are just numbered sequentially
now rather than related to method names.

Jim