[PyKDE] QString in PyQt4 - Request for Comments

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Tue Oct 18 22:24:36 BST 2005

Simon Edwards <simon at simonzone.com> wrote:

>> I'm not saying it happens often. I'm saying that we the proposed change
it
>> would be *impossible* to do it. On the other hand, with the current
>> interface it is possible to do exactly what you want, it is just a little
>> less convenient for the common case.
>
> What I am saying is how cares if it impossible to do, performance is not
an
> issue here.

You don't care, I care. Don't do the mistake of thinking that your needs are
the same of everyone else.

> Making the common case work easily, bug free and as expected, is
> about a million times more important.

Even right now, the common case works bug free and just as expected. Your
expectations are different from mine, but that does not change a thing. I
know Qt uses QString and I know PyQt objects accepts and returns QString.
There is nothing unexcepted in this. We're just speaking of adding an
implicit conversion in the bindings of a language for which "explicit is
better than implicit" is a motto. I'm just saying that we should think twice
about it.
--
Giovanni Bajo