[PyKDE] Konqueror plugins in Python

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Mon May 23 01:09:25 BST 2005

On Saturday 21 May 2005 21:49, Jim Bublitz wrote:

> I haven't done anything with konqueror, and a quick look at the file system
> didn't prove very enlightening. You might want to contact David Boddie
> <david at boddie.org.uk>, as he's played around with konqueror plugins in the
> past. I think he's posted some code in past too, but not sure what he has
> available online or where.

I released some of these a while ago. Unfortunately, I think I was the only
person able to make working libraries. A more general and comprehensive build
system is required, and I hope that I can add some support to the PyKDE
Extensions build system:

http://www.simonzone.com/software/pykdeextensions/

> konqueror seems to use KParts more than plain plugins, but the machinery to
> write a KPart in Python is basically the same - you still need a C++ .so
> file to load, and while the actual C++ code is almost completely generic,
> enough is plugin-specific (usually names/paths) that you need a unique .so
> for each plugin or KPart.

Yes, this is the case for most plugins. You can create a general plugin that
loads Python scripts as required, but I'm not sure whether this could be used
as a general launcher for plugins and still allow each of them to provide a
unique user interface (menu/toolbar entries).

I'll upload a package containing some plugins and announce it shortly.

David