[PyKDE] autoAdding buttons to a grid

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Wed May 18 21:31:43 BST 2005

> IIUC, what you have is a static block of buttons on one side of the
> screen which need to change dynamically.

John,

Allmost.  The number of buttons is not fixed.

Here's all the gory details:

I'm building a specialized jukebox for use in Dance studios.  With
classification features far above the gazillion other jukeboxes that
exist.  This should be comparable to any of the commercial offerings.

My UI requirement is to be "drop dead simple" to use with everthing
accessable from a single window with large buttons and a touchscreen
that respond to single clicks and perhaps click and drag.

An example would be Instructor decides they are going to work on
American Cha-Cha today and wants a random selection of Slow and medium
speed cha-cha's.

- User Select Dance.  Which then creates a toggle button for each if
the Dance classes in the database.  There's probally 10 - 15 of these.
 So a grid of around 4 by 4 buttons appears.
- User toggles the Dances desired in this case just one. "Cha Cha".
- User selects one of the filter buttons.  In this case we will choose speed.
A small listing of 7 speeds is then displayed.
- User selects speeds.  "Slow" and "medium".
- User hits "Go" or "Dance" or some other cute indicator of execute the query.
I then build a playlist and start my player.

I'm open to any suggestions on the UI for this but I don't want any
menu's, tool bars,  mutiple windows, etc.  A simple flat layout layout
is what I'm after.

--
Richard A. Smith