[PyKDE] crash and hang issues with pytone and eric3

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Sun May 1 00:42:03 BST 2005

I'm trying to do some hacking on pytone (http://www.luga.de/pytone/)
and decided to try out eric3 in the process.

So far I like eric3 very much.

I've got 3 issues that I'd like some help with.

Issue 1 is that curses seems to not be compatible with eric3.
currently pytone has a curses interface and the call to curses.raw()
or curses.cbreak() will return back an error and throw an exception.
Which then causes the DebugSever to die.  Has anyone used eric3 and
curses together?

Here is the traceback from when the Debugger dies.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/eric/Debugger/DebugServer.py",
line 584, in handleLine
    fn, lineno = line[eoc:-1].split(',')
ValueError: unpack list of wrong size
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/eric/Debugger/DebugServer.py",
line 556, in handleLine
    self.emit(PYSIGNAL('clientVariable'),(line[eoc:-1],))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/eric/Debugger/DebugUI.py",
line 986, in handleClientVariable
    vlist = eval(vars)
  File "<string>", line 0

    ^
SyntaxError: unexpected EOF while parsing

If I comment out the curses.raw() or cbreak() calls then curses seems
to load up ok but this brings me to my next issue.

Issue 2:
pytone seems to hang the DebugServer.  If I comment out the .raw()
call and run pytone then the debugger will hang.  I have to exit eric3
and kill -9 the DebugServer

My install is  Debian unstable using both the pytone and eric packages
that are currently in unstable.  As you can see from the traceback I'm
using python 2.3

These seem to be 100% repeatable for me.  Note however that you have
to set TERM=xterm in the Environment listbox or curses will refuse to
even load.

My last issue is that
My class browsing doesn't seem to work on classes that have been
copied from one another.  pytone has lots of stuff that loads up
before it gets to the curses stuff.  One area that I was messing with
was the database config which does some creative things using
deep.copies of classes to handle multiple database types.  If I break
inside a method of one of these copied classes all the member
variables that are accessed via self.variablename are not viewable.
In the local variables tab I have a "self" item (with a plus) that
says its a class instance @ 0xWhatever but if i click on the plus to
expand out the members nothing shows.

Other classes appear to work ok.  Is this the expected behavior?

--
Richard A. Smith