[PyKDE] Re: clone member function deleting object

Paul F. Kunz Paul_Kunz at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Mar 15 20:39:15 GMT 2005

   Using sip.transfer(), as Phil suggested, keeps the destructor of my
object created by clone() from being destroyed.   However, my object
is still not useable as it can't find the Python implemented methods
when it is called from C++ after return of clone.

   Poking around, I found that sipFunctionBase::sipPySelf data member
has gotten reset to zero.   Using SIP trace and adding some printing
in the generated sipFunctionBase.cpp file by hand, the trace back
is...

FunctionBase * sipFunctionBase::clone() const (this=0x083c9d90)
  sipPySelf = 0x419c623c
python.clone
init_FunctionBase  sipSelf = 0x419c629c
sipFunctionBase::sipFunctionBase(const FunctionBase&) (this=0x08406528)
  sipPySelf = 0
  sipCpp = 0x8406528
python.copy
dealloc_FunctionBase  sipSelf = 0x419c629c
  sipIsSimple not
const std::vector<double>& sipFunctionBase::getParameters() (this=0x08406528)
  sipPySelf = 0

Note

- sipFunctionBase::clone() finds the Python member function and calls
  it.  Looks ok

- The sipFunctionBase copy constructor gets called followed by Python
  __init__ method.  Looks ok

- on return, dealloc_FunctionBase is called with argument of the newly
  created instance.   It appears that sipPySelf is then set to zero!

- The very first call to a member function shows indeed that the member
  sipPySelf is a null pointer.

Any ideas, suggestions?