[PyKDE] Eric3 Usability Questions / Feedback

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Tue Mar 15 18:25:52 GMT 2005

Hi,

first I have to appologize, but the original posting never made it to me.
Maybe my smartfilter was a bit too smart.

> > 1. I create a new project and want to add a .ui form. What's the easiest
> > way to do this?

There are several ways to add a new .ui form.

1) In the Project Forms Browser show the context menu and select "New
form...". This shows you a selection dialog with the most common form types
to select from and opens Qt Designer.

2) Start Qt-Designer and save your form to its final destination in the
project tree. Then select "Add form..." from the same context menu.

> > 2. What's the easiest way to create a new Python script and add it to the
> > current project?

Just open a new editor, enter your script and select the action "Save to
project".

> > 3. Is there any way to remove some of the toolbars? I can undock them,
> > but can't seem to get rid of them.

You can't remove them, but you can hide them.  Just deselect the unwanted
toolbars in the Window->Toolbars menu.

> I second all these remarks on the usability - they are my concerns too.
>
> However I can see that point 1 is more complicated than it may seem, as
> creating a ui file most certainly needs some initial setup like base-class
> and name and so on, so that a dialog for that will resemble more or less
> the qt-designer new-ui file dialog/wizard. Which shouldn't be too
> complicated for simpler widgets, but the more elaborate wizards certainly
> take effort to reproduce whilst having limited benefit (its not too often
> that one creates an ui file compared to editing it)
>
> Regards,
>
> Diez

Most of the stuff you expect is probably somewhere in eric3. It's just a
matter of finding the right place. Or as another user said, I should stop to
underestimate eric3.

Regards,
Detlev
--