[PyKDE] Re: clone member function deleting object

Paul F. Kunz Paul_Kunz at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Mar 14 18:28:24 GMT 2005

>>> You must either keep a reference or transfer ownership to C++
>>> using sip.transfer() - and make sure you call the C++ dtor
>>> explicitly at some stage to avoid a memory leak.
>>  I'll try sip.transfer().

   I can't get to the sip documentation pages right now,
river-bank.demon.co.uk not responding.   I can see from Python that
sip.transfer takes two arguments.   What are they?

>>> What you haven't shown is the Python code that calls clone().
>>  No Python code calls clone().  C++ class clone().  With what it
>> gets back, it can display the function graphically and also preform
>> a fitting process against a data set.  There are built in C++
>> functions the user can do the same with, but the idea is for the
>> user to provide a custom function in Python.

> So your C++ code that calls clone() does a Py_DECREF() on the
> result?

   No.   C++ code calls clone() and wants to keep the result for
plotting and fitting.   Thus a reference to the Python instance needs
to be keep alive and not garbage collected.