[review] [PyKDE] PyQT module size

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Sat Mar 5 18:25:51 GMT 2005

Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk> wrote:

>> I think I'm just going to go with the other users' recommendation of
>> nabbing the latest sip and compiling with some different flags with GCC4
>> and see if that gets me some quick wins.  My mind is too small and
>> fragile to attempt the changes you proposed above without screwing
>> things up or causing myself more time than its worth (Thanks just the
>> same for the options though) Which is kind of how I view pyqt in general
>> - A time saver.
>
> As I understand it, GCC4 won't give any improvement if you are using the
> latest SIP (although it would be nice to have this confirmed). Thanks to
> Ulli, modules now only export a single symbol - just using the latest SIP
> by itself should give you the improvements.

Yeah, I had missed that. I assume this is being done with a linker script.

The new features of GCC4 are handy if you need to export multiple C++
classes, and you don't want to mention hundreds of mangled names in a linker
script (including vtables, etc.), or manually mark each and every member
function and member variable with a GCC-specific __attribute__. But this is
not the case here.
--
Giovanni Bajo