[PyKDE] ANN: PyKDE Extensions 0.2.0 released

Joachim Werner joe at suse.de
Wed Jun 15 11:46:22 BST 2005

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 9. Juni 2005 21:50 schrieb Simon Edwards:
> Hi all,
>
> Version 0.2.0 is now available for public testing. This release includes a
> bunch of bug fixes and support for creating KControl modules in Python, as
> well as an extended support for installing KDE programs in Python, and
> on-the-fly Designer file support.

I've tried it out today on SUSE Linux 9.3 (x86-64), and I am experiencing a
couple of minor issues:

- Installing the PyKDE Extensions fails because pyuic is not found by
  qtuicompiler. I "fixed" that by hard-coding the pyuic_exe string to
  '/opt/kde3/bin/pyuic'.

- All the stuff that should go into /usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages goes
  into /opt/kde3/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/.
  I manually moved it to go on with testing.

- After those manual fixes I was able to run the setup.py scripts for
  kdeutility and kdeapp.
  For reasons I don't understand yet the kdeapp stuff is not copied to
  /opt/kde3/share/apps/kdeapp. This works fine for kdeutility.
  Again, manually copying the stuff to the right place helped.

- The hardest one was the KControlCenter module. I got it to install
  after replacing all the occurences of "lib" with "lib64" in kdedistutils.py.

  What exactly should the ControlCenter module template do if installed?
  If it should just show up in the KControlCenter as an icon, that works for
  me now.

SUSE Linux 9.3 uses the PyQt/PYKDE from the KDE 3.4 CVS, and I'd assume that
our folder layout is pretty standards-compliant.

It seems that most of the PyKDE Extensions code is not 64bit-aware yet.
Basically, all hardcoded paths that say "lib" are evil on an LSB-compliant
64-bit system.

If I can help you with getting the PyKDE Extensions work out of the box on
SUSE Linux, just tell me, and I'll try my best. ;-)

Cheers

Joachim

--
Joachim Werner, SUSE RD-TPM