[PyKDE] Re: PyQt as a statically compiled shared library...

Dan Sommers dan at tombstonezero.net
Tue Jun 14 23:30:49 BST 2005

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:39:21 +0200,
"Truls A. Tangstad" <kerfue+pykde at herocamp.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:40:41AM -0400, Dan Sommers wrote:

> > Does "all systems" include non-x86 hardware, too?  That's an awful
> > lot of binaries to maintain!

> Well, I have to admit my current world revolves around linux-distros
> and windows at the moment, with osx on the horizon, so my definition
> of "all systems" is practically abit more narrow than some others.

Speaking as an OS X user (presently on PPC hardware; don't get me
started!), I wasn't even going that far.  Debian, e.g., supports and
distributes Linux on Motorola 68k's Sun SPARC's, Alphas, Power PC's,
ARM's, MIPS, HP PA-RISC's, and IBM S/390's (not to mention the IA-32
vs. IA-64 question...).

I guess my point is why paint yourself into a corner when all the tools
exist to let your users choose their own hardware and use the available
package managers (apt, RPM, etc.)?

That said, the OS X user in me does appreciate installing software by
simply dragging the application bundle (which appears as a single file)
to my /Applications folder (and the equally painless subsequent upgrades
and uninstalls).

And *that* said, there are now *three* complete Python installations on
my hard drive (the one that came with OS X, a newer version I installed
myself with fink, and the one that came bundled with NeoOffice/J).  :-/

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan Sommers