[review] [PyKDE] PyKDE on Gentoo

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Tue Jul 19 16:59:14 BST 2005

On Tuesday 19 July 2005 01:23, Aurel (DustyDingo) W. wrote:
> Hi, I am new to all this PyQt/KDE stuff and currently developing a
> little application using PyQt.
>
> Now i also want to use some KDE features, but i have problems with the
> python bindings for the libs on Gentoo. There is a package called
> "pykde" in the portage tree, but that doesn't work with kdelibs
> versions >= 3.3.1. There is also no suitable package in the
> "kdebindings-meta".
>
> Whats alls about this this? I heard, that the PyQt and PyKDE bindings
> are now maintained in the KDE-Project, so there should be some
> packages like "kde-base/PyQt" and "kde-base/PyKDE", but there is still
> this old one "dev-python/pykde"?
>
> So is there a way to get PyKDE running on Gentoo? I tried to compile a
> cvs snapshot of PyKDE from
> http://www.river-bank.demon.co.uk/download/snapshots/PyKDE/ (worked
> fine first, but i get bad memory acces errors, when running
> applications), but I don't know if this are the "old" kdebindings or
> the new one maintained by the kde-project?
>
> Can anyone give me more information on this issues, because it's a bit
> confusing, what are now the "real" bidnings.

There are two versions of PyKDE available: the version I maintain is located
at riverbankcomputing.co.uk. The version you probably want is the sna[shot
version at:

    http://www.river-bank.demon.co.uk/download/snapshots/PyKDE/

There is also a version maintained by Simon Edwards as part of KDE - it's
distributed in the kde-bindings package or available from the KDE subversion
repository.

The differences are:

1. The riverbankcomputing version is source only - you need to compile it. The
KDE version is available in rpm form for some distributions - I'm not sure
about the availability for Debian or Gentoo.

2. The riverbankcomputing version hasn't been updated to compile with
gcc>=3.4. The KDE version has been.

3. Either version should compile/run against any KDE 3.x.x version; the
riverbankcomputing version is updated to KDE 3.4.1, the KDE version is
somewhat behind that, but that shouldn't be a problem for most people.

Some Linux distributions don't build Qt with compatibility information for the
obsolete QList, which PyKDE still references in a few places - most do. That
can also cause build problems.

Jim